- Do you find hair stuck on your pillow in the morning, on your combs, brushes or even between your fingers when you run your hand through your hair?
- Is your scalp extremely sensitive when using a comb?
- Do you notice a lot of hair that has fallen out in your shower after shampooing?
- Does your hair have very visible split ends?
All these factors are signs that your hair is suffering from too much brittleness. They break and fall to end up on the shoulders of your sweaters. To know how to fight against this phenomenon you must first know what the different factors that weaken your hair are. Knowing the causes of your hair’s fragility is the first step in knowing how to strengthen your hair.
1 – Easing up on chemicals and hair dyes
Everyone knows that hair straighteners and dyes weaken hair. The chemicals contained in these products, and in particular the ammonia in coloring, attack the hair and make it thinner. Repeated dyeing therefore greatly weakens your hair, which can cause hair loss and dull hair. You can in particular try to use a vegetable coloring
2 – Avoid too much heat
We cannot avoid using heat on our hair from time to time, especially when we need to quickly dry our hair with an efficient hairdryer or blow dry. You may need to attend a business meeting, wedding, or event that requires you to style your hair with a hair dryer or straightener, which is sometimes too aggressive a heat source for our hair. Using heat every now and then is okay don’t worry.
On the other hand too often, it will permanently weaken the hair. The heat will warp the keratin protein that your hair is made of.
Therefore, try to let your hair dry naturally every now and then, especially on weekends when you have time. Also protect them with protective oil before using your hair dryer or straightener to avoid burning the hair fiber
3 – Aggressive hair products
To know how to strengthen your hair, the majority of professional hairdressers recommend checking the ingredients of your hair products such as shampoo or masks and doing your research before making a purchase, because they know that products that are too aggressive can damage in a few minutes.
Aggressive hair products will not only weaken your hair, but also affect your scalp, which can for example promote the development of dandruff.
To be sure not to damage your hair too much, prefer to use natural products as much as possible.
Sweet almond oil for example will hydrate your hair very well without chemicals and a homemade hair mask with natural products taken out of your fridge such as avocado or egg yolk will be much better (and cheaper) than a chemical mask.
4 – Hot or cold water: strengthen your hair with simple actions
Although a hot shower is more pleasant, it is not recommended to use hot water for washing your hair. Professional hairdressers recommend lukewarm water. Hot water is not ideal as it strips the hair of its natural oils, which dries it out and ultimately weakens it.
To know how to effectively fortify your hair you also need to know how to shampoo properly. And in this case, many hairdressers recommend rinsing your hair with cold water after shampooing. Indeed it allows to close the cuticles of the hair which opened under hot or lukewarm water. Your hair will retain keratin much better and will be stronger and softer.
5 – Too much shampoo damages the hair
To stay on the shampoo theme to know how to fortify your hair, know that you shouldn’t wash it too often. In fact, your hair should be washed a maximum of three times a week, which is already a lot.
Most hairdressers actually recommend washing your hair once every week, especially if you are not using a mild shampoo. It depends a lot on the natural properties of your hair, but in general, washing it less is strengthening it.
On the other hand, you should wash your hair less but wash it BETTER! Shampoo is a time when you either take the risk of damaging your hair if you do it badly or on the contrary a time when you can take care of it if you follow some professional advice. Find out how to wash your hair well to strengthen it in our article dedicated to the subject.
6 – Genetics and hormones
Sometimes the problem with weak hair can be genetic causes or it can be the result of hormonal changes in your body. If you inherit this issue, it might be difficult to do something about it, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. Treating the hormonal problem will in turn help strengthen the hair. Natural supplemts like zinc can help restore balance to your body’s endocrine system.
7 – Don’t suffocate your hair
The way you style your hair on a daily basis can also make your hair brittle. Wearing your hair too tight or suffocating it under layers of wax or gel is not good at all. If you are used to styling your hair this way on a daily basis, try to find some days when you can let them breathe.
8- Stimulate Keratin
- Vitamin E is the antioxidant vitamin par excellence and it will allow better cellular oxygenation of the scalp. You can find vitamin E by consuming the oil of wheat germ cold press and organic. Also, in oleaginous fruits, sprouted seeds, whole grains, quality eggs.
- Group B vitamins are essential when you want healthy and shiny hair. We think especially of vitamin B8, also called biotin, which helps maintain healthy skin and hair, while slowing down their fall. B vitamins are found in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, sprouted seeds, powdered wheatgrass, quality eggs.
- Sulfur and zinc, two minerals that will act in synergy to boost the synthesis of keratin. The alliaceae family (garlic, shallot, onion, etc.) is rich in sulfur. As for zinc, it is found in sea algae, pumpkin seeds, quality eggs, lentils.
What to Avoid:
- Getting out of the shower with dripping hair and vigorously rubbing it in a towel to remove excess water is a terribly tempting gesture (which we have all done at least once…). This tends to weaken your hair over time. Rather than rubbing, leave your hair in a towel for ten minutes and squeeze it gently
- Brushing your hair when it is wet FORBIDDEN!!!! Weakened by water, it becomes more brittle and the passage of our brush weakens it enormously. We therefore wait to have dried them or we use a wide-toothed comb to untangle them.
Is the only wide-toothed comb I recommend for hair. The natural Materials such as wood respect the hair fiber and smooth the surface. The Anti-Static technology will keep your hair from snagging. This therefore weakens the hair less than traditional plastic combs.
Natural Hair Strengtheners
Hair is undoubtedly one of the most important bodily attributes because above all it has great aesthetic value. However, it’s not just about highlighting them as often as possible. It is fundamental to take care of it, to strengthen the hair if we want to avoid some of the most recurring problems.
Hair loss is a common problem for both men and women. This is why we suggest you use natural remedies to strengthen your hair!
In fact, the remedies that we suggest below are very simple and easy to do at home. You will therefore have no problem testing them.
It is important to take into account that the hair area is particularly sensitive. If serious or constant problems arise, it would be more reasonable to consult a dermatologist, who is the person indicated to judge the situation and provide solutions!
- Brewer’s yeast: The brewer’s yeast can be used as a hair strengthener just as it can be used to make a crispy baguette. It is composed of a microscopic fungus, with multiple beneficial properties. It is found in two forms: the inactive form of the fungus is obtained after heating; the active form of yeast remains alive. Both contain identical active ingredients that are useful in herbal medicine, in particular to treat capillary weakness problems. Rich in vitamin B, essential for the synthesis of keratin (protein making up 95% of the hair).
- Castor oil : To be used in a mask or in a bath, castor oil is great for the hair, it corresponds better to thick hair and to people with oily scalp. Avocado, sapote or neem oil can also be helpful but are a bit more oily.
- Neutral henna : Without the coloring effect of other henna, it has the same properties particularly in terms of tone and maintenance of the hair. It will sheath and strengthen the henna from the inside, it is inexpensive and can be mixed with other powders (see article above) to obtain volume, shine or softness.
- Spirulina : Spirulina fills the deficiencies in vitamins and trace elements and acts on the radiance of the epidermis, nails and hair. To do as a cure (continuously it becomes effective for me) preferably during the changes of season.
- Homemade masks : You might as well say that hair products that cost a fortune you can forget most are not effective. Homemade masks that often cost very little are just as effective. Egg recipes are the most effective in terms of hair health. Combine 3 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of lemon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Apply this preparation to your wet hair. Let sit for 10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly and shampooing. (Do not forget to rinse with lukewarm water, the omelet on the head is not great).
- Organic neem oil : Neem (Azadirachta indica) or neem, is a tree native to India belonging to the Meliaceae family. Rich in azadirachtin, the oil extracted from the seeds is commonly referred to as neem oil.
The properties of this oil are specific: it is anti-bacterial, antifungal and insect repellent.
- Grenetin: Grenetin found in Orgain Grass Fed Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides Protein Powder is a well-known product since it is it that is used to make gelatin . It is is a protein that is found in the collagen of the bones, tissues and cartilage of some animals. Of course, and as you have probably understood the Grenetin used to strengthen hair through large amounts of collagen in it. Besides the hair, it also strengthens the nails. The best way to use grenetin to fortify your hair is to add a dose of this protein to the bottle of your regular shampoo and to shake it to mix it well. Wash your hair normally, and then rinse it. But if you want to achieve better results, we recommend that you dissolve the grenetin in half a cup of water and apply it to your hair, then rinse it.
Natural hair strengtheners found at home
It is known that olive oil has interesting properties which allow to effectively treat different problems and in addition, it strengthens the hair. At the same time, it works so that the hair looks less dull, better hydrated and shinier.
To achieve this result, just apply two teaspoons of oil to your dry hair before going to shower.
Don’t forget to cover your hair with a shower cap so that the oil takes effect. Moreover, the water vapor makes the oil better penetrate all over the scalp.
After ten minutes, take off your shower cap and rinse your hair normally. You can then shampoo and condition as you normally would.
Honey is another natural product that can do a lot of good for limp, brittle hair. Thanks to its nutrients, honey strengthens and gives body to the hair.
In this case, apply a little honey all over your hair, spreading it with your fingertips. You can also perform a light massage to make the honey penetrate deeply.
After 15 to 20 minutes, the amount of time it takes for the honey to take effect, wash it off with warm or hot water. Your best bet is to take the shower and use your usual shampoo.
Fun Fact: Did know that the daily use of honey can also lighten the color of your hair or give it highlights? Honey is part of the composition of certain lightening shampoos that are found on the market!
Egg as a Hair Strengthener
Incredible as it may seem, the eggs are another option to strengthen and beautify hair. Because eggs are rich in vitamins E and D , both of which is fundamental for strengthening the hair and nails .
One can get these benefits by consuming eggs. But the results will be more noticeable if it is applied directly to the hair.
It’s a very simple process. Just beat a raw egg in a bowl. Then you apply it to the scalp, massaging lightly with your fingertips to make it penetrate well.
Leave on for 15 minutes, then rinse. It is important that this rinse is done with cold or lukewarm water, but never with hot water. Of course, you can use shampoo and conditioner to completely remove all traces of egg!